Clapham acid attack: Calls for Home Office review of suspect’s asylum-seeker status | UK | News

February 2, 2024
23 Views


The Home Office is facing calls to carry out a review of how an “acid” attack suspect was allowed to stay in the UK.

Abdul Ezedi, 35 and from Newcastle, is on the run after an attack where a woman and her two children were doused with a corrosive substance.

The attack, which took place on January 31 in south London, has left the mother and her children with potentially life-changing injuries.

Ezedi, originally from Afghanistan, was convicted of a sexual offence in 2018 and given a suspended sentence at Newcastle Crown Court.

It is believed he was granted asylum after two failed attempts, having come to the UK in a lorry in 2016. According to reports, he was allowed to stay after converting to Christianity.

Former immigration minister Robert Jenrick has called on the Home Secretary James Cleverly to review how Ezedi was allowed to remain in the UK.

Mr Jenrick said: “I would expect the Home Secretary to conduct a detailed review of what has happened and what may have gone seriously wrong in this case, and to put that information in the public domain, such is the public interest.”

He told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “It appears from what little we know of this case, that this is an individual whose asylum in the UK was granted by a tribunal despite the fact that he had been convicted of a sexual offence and on the basis of evidence which may well be spurious or insubstantial, such as this suggestion that he had converted to Christianity.”

Former home secretary Suella Braverman said the case showed why the UK should leave the European Convention on Human Rights.

“The immigration history to this case demonstrates why we need a fundamental overhaul of human rights laws,” she said on X.

Downing Street refused to make a commitment on a review, pointing to the fact the investigation is ongoing.

The Prime Minister’s official spokesman said: “First and foremost on the attack, obviously, it was a horrific attack and the PM’s thoughts are with the victims and their families.

“And he’d like to extend his thanks to the emergency services for the very quick response to the scene and the five officers who were injured in the incident.”

He said that in general Mr Sunak “doesn’t think that foreign criminals should be able to stay in the country, putting the public at risk”.



Spread the love

You may be interested

Google’s Pixel 9 may get an Apple-like satellite SOS feature
Technology
shares2 views
Technology
shares2 views

Google’s Pixel 9 may get an Apple-like satellite SOS feature

Rajendran Achuthan - Apr 15, 2024

[ad_1] Google could be adding a feature very similar to Apple’s Emergency SOS feature to the Pixel 9 and the…

Johnson signals he won’t put Senate supplemental on the floor despite increased pressure
World
shares2 views
World
shares2 views

Johnson signals he won’t put Senate supplemental on the floor despite increased pressure

Rajendran Achuthan - Apr 15, 2024

[ad_1] House Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., on Sunday did not indicate that he would put the Senate-passed supplemental package on…

Israel-Iran attack LIVE: IDF issues chilling warning over revenge plan | World | News
Top Stories
shares6 views2
Top Stories
shares6 views2

Israel-Iran attack LIVE: IDF issues chilling warning over revenge plan | World | News

Rajendran Achuthan - Apr 15, 2024

[ad_1] The G7 group of nations has issued a joint statement following a summit held this afternoon.In the statement, the…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.